|Home Page - Program - Contacts & Links - Picture Gallery - Recipes|
175g dark soft brown sugar
2 tbsp black treacle
225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
25g stem ginger, chopped
1 egg beaten
2 dessert apples, peeled, chopped and coated with 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Grease a 23cm square cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
2. Melt the butter, sugar and treacle in a pan over a low heat. Leave the mixture to cool.
3. Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Add the stemmed ginger.
4. Stir in the milk, beaten egg and cooled buttery liquid, followed by the apple.
5. Mix everything together gently then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Bake in a preheated oven, 170º/325ºF/Gas Mark 3, for 30-35 minutes until the cake has risen and a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning out and cutting into 12 bars.