|Home Page - Program - Contacts & Links - Picture Gallery - Recipes|
Swedish Apple Cake3 eggs
150g caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
150g butter plus a couple of knobs
3 bramleys, cut into large bite-sized chunks
3 tbsp golden granulated sugar, for the top
¼ tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. Whisk the eggs and caster sugar, either by hand or in a food mixer, until it is thick and pale.
3. Sift in the flour and baking powder, and fold gently until it is all combined.
4. Melt the butter in 240ml water and beat into the mixture.
5. Grease an oven-proof frying pan (25cm x 5cm deep) with knob of butter, then pour the batter in.
6. Drop the pieces of apple into the mix – don’t worry if it’s pretty crowded. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle liberally with golden granulated sugar and some cinnamon.
7. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, then take it out and leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
8. Run a knife around the edge and turn out on to a plate, then flip again so the apples are on top.
9. Serve hot or at room temperature with a creamy accompaniment of your choice.